Serves: 4 servings
- ½ cup plus 1½ tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 teaspoon baking soda (optional)
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon pepper
- 2 teaspoons cooking oil
- 1½ pounds flank steak , cut across the grain into thin strips
- ½ cup low sodium soy sauce
- ⅔ cup low sodium beef broth
- 2 tablespoons hoisin sauce
- 1 tablespoon Thai sweet red chili sauce
- ¼-1/2 teaspoon red pepper chili flakes, to taste
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon fresh ginger, thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons cool water
- ½ cup shredded or matchstick carrots
- 1 cup pineapple chunks, fresh or canned
- ¼ cup pineapple juice
- cooked rice, for serving
- 2 green onions, sliced thinly (optional)
- sesame seeds, optional
- In a large zip-top bag, toss together ½ cup cornstarch, baking soda, salt and pepper. Add beef and give it a shake to coat.
- In a large skillet, heat the oil over medium-high heat. Sear the beef for about 1 to 2 minutes on both sides and add to slow cooker.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the soy sauce, broth, sugar, hoisin sauce, chili sauce, chili flakes, garlic and ginger until dissolved and pour over the beef.
- Cover and cook on LOW for about 3 to 4 hours.
- About 30 minutes prior to serving, whisk together remaining cornstarch with water in a small bowl and stir into the slow cooker along with the carrots, pineapples, and pineapple juice.
- Cover with lid, turn heat to HIGH and allow the sauce to cook and thicken up for about 20 to 30 minutes.
- Serve over rice and garnish with green onions and sesame seeds, if desired.