- 1 tablespoon cocoa powder
- 1/3 cup hot water
- 4 ounces chopped bittersweet chocolate
- 1/2 can (7 ounces) sweetened condensed milk
- 1 stick cinnamon (optional)
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon powder
- 1/8 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder (optional)
- 4 cups (1 quart) whole milk (2% or skim is also fine)
- In a small bowl combine the hot water and the cocoa powder, stir until smooth.
- In the base of the slow cooker, add the bittersweet chocolate, condensed milk, cinnamon stick, cinnamon powder, nutmeg, chili powder, whole milk, along with the cocoa powder mixture. Heat on low for 2 hours, stirring every 30 minutes or so.
- Serve warm with marshmallows, whipped cream, chocolate syrup, or chocolate shavings.
- I’ve used chocolate chips in the past but this can really be a hit or a miss. For best results, I suggest using chopped chocolate.